Saturday 11 February 2012

Almost Healthy Chocolate Brownies

Today, I’m sharing with you one of my families favorite treats….delicious chocolate brownies. This recipe has been adapted from the Australian Institute of Sport recipe book, Survival For The Fittest.



I usually use vaalia french vanilla yoghurt, which is quite sweet, so I have reduced the amount of sugar in the origional recipie. I have also found that I ofen need to add upto 1/2 cup more yoghurt to reach a stirrable consistency

I make this for the kids as an after school treat. Coupled with some fruit, I know it will give them the energy to complete their afternoon training. The kids think that they are getting a delicious treat, but I know that it is almost healthy and limited in saturated fat.

I also like to bake these brownies when our swimming club is in charge of the catering  and they  always go down a treat!

The recipe is so easy to make, and my kids love to ‘help’ me make the brownies. Of course, they especially like to lick out the bowl!




Ingredients

¾ cup plain flour.
¾ cup self-raising flour.
2/3 cup Cocoa.
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar.
200 g carton low-fat vanilla yoghurt (I usually use Vaalia French vanilla).
60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil (light flavor is best).
4 egg whites.
2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
icing sugar, to dust (optional).

Optional ingredients
1/3 cup (40 g) roughly chopped walnuts. Or
½ cup white chocolate bits

Preheat oven to moderate (180°C or 350°C).  Line a 30 x 20 cm shallow baking pan with aluminum foil.  Sift flours and cocoa into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.  Whisk yoghurt, oil, egg whites and vanilla essence together in a small bowl.  Pour onto dry ingredients, and mix lightly and quickly until just combined. Stir through optional ingredients if required. Spread into prepared pan and smooth the surface.  Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the tray comes out clean.  Leave in the tin for about 15 minutes, then lift out and peel the foil away.  Cut into squares.  Dust lightly with icing sugar before serving (optional).

12 comments:

  1. 'Almost' healthy is more than good enough for me!
    Yum!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!! Kids just love to lick out the bowl!!

      Delete
  3. OMG, how sweet... "smile"!!


    hugs doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. The delightful look on your daughter's face has sold me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look deliciously rich and moist, might have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My children certainly enjoy them!

      Delete
  6. Yummm...
    These look really good!

    «Louis» thanks you for your visit to San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost healthy sounds good excuse to make these more than once:) Yammy

    ReplyDelete