Thursday 1 March 2012

Body for Women (BSc): Review and Recipe for ‘Protein Power Muffins'

In our family, we take sport, health and exercise pretty seriously. My daughters do their chosen sports of swimming and gymnastics at the highest level available where we live. We are also heavily involved in little athletics and soccer. My children love their sport and I believe part of my job, as their mum, is to provide the opportunities for them so that they can reach their potential.

I love sport myself and have been a competitive cyclist and more recently I have taken up running with an absolute passion. I have a background in medical research and I have spent time researching ways that I can help my self be a better runner and help my children with their sports.

I have read that there are three physical components to becoming a successful athlete. These are:

  1. Training
  2. Recovery
  3. Nutrition.

A far as my children are concerned the training and recovery part is taken care of mostly by their coaches. I feel that one of the best things I can do is ensure that they eat properly so that:

  1. They have enough energy for training and competition
  2. Have the essential nutrients for adapting to training and recovery
  3. Have the right nutrients available to protect their bodies by helping guard against sickness and injury.

For me, like many women, I am conscious about what I eat. I aim to fuel my body for running and stay healthy and fit whilst maintaining a healthy weight.

Providing  a diet rich in nutrients for my family is a absolute priority. It is easy to provide enough kilojoules in the form of carbohydrates, but I think the real challenge is to not have ‘empty calories’. That is, making the food really count so that it not only supplies energy, but nutrients as well. Valuable nutrients like protein for muscle development and calcium, for bone strength, vitamins and antioxidants for immune function and overall health.

You can see why I was so excited to be contacted by an Australian company called  Body Science Australia (BSc) to try  their Body for Women range of products.


 The products include bars, pre-mixed smoothies, bites and protein powder. All the products are high in protein and low in carbohydrate. They contain vitamins, minerals antioxidants and omega 3 6 & 9.  They taste really yummy too!! I think this range is perfect to keep on hand for when life is just too busy to prepare healthy food. For example, if you are at work, or you are on the move running errands or being the kids taxi driver! It is a much better option than takeaway or a vending machine!!!

My favorite product however is the Shaping Protein for Women powder. I have found that it is really great ingredient to cook with.

In our family muffins are a favorite after school and pre-training snack. They are easy to prepare, freeze and eat in the car on the way to training. They are a good source of carbs but, they don’t contain a lot of other nutrients like protein and vitamins. I thought that incorporating the protein powder would give the muffins a valuable nutritional boost.

After a little  fun experimentation in the kitchen I have come up with some recipes that have definitely been met with approval from my greatest critics…my children. They are also great for a recovery snack with a cup of coffee after a run for me!

I used the wonderful Banana Muffins recipe from the Fit Mum Blog as a basis for my muffins as I love how they have yoghurt and oil instead of butter (Thanks Vicki!).

Actually, I prepared these muffins for afternoon tea on the way to swim training and I also was taking one of my daughters friends. Later, at the pool, this girls mother asked her if she wanted to ride to the pool with her dad or me the next day….she replied …I like going with dad, but then I’d miss out on all the great food!” …that sounds like a positive recommendation to me!



Further information about the Body Science products can be found on the Body Science website

Each recipe makes about 12 large muffins

Vanilla Protein Power muffins

½ cup vanilla Body Shaping for Women powder
2 cups self raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
2 cups “lite” vanilla yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup light tasting extra virgin olive oil

Banana Protein Power muffins

½ cup vanilla Body Science powder
2 cups self raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1 ½ cups “lite” vanilla yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup light tasting extra virgin olive oil
2-4 mashed bananas


 Apple Protein Power muffins

½ cup vanilla Body Science powder
2 cups self raising flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups “lite” vanilla yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup light tasting extra virgin olive oil
1 grated apple
½ cup apple puree 

Optional extras (add one of the following)

½ cup blueberries
½ cup walnuts
½ cup chocolate/white chocolate chips
½ cup sultanas
½ cup rolled oats

Method

  • Preheat oven to 180oC
  • Grease a muffin pan with oil, or margarine or line with paper cases
  • Sift protein powder, flour, bicarbonate. and cinnamon into a large bowl
  • In a separate bowl add eggs, yoghurt, oil and whisk.
  • Add banana or apple to the egg mixture and stir to combine
  • Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined
  • Stir through any optional extras
  • Transfer to muffin pan and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.

8 comments:

  1. These look great. I try occasionally to add a bit of protein powder to morning smoothies, but kids don't like the taste. So into muffins is a great idea. I might try adding extra egg white too??

    Will try these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seana! This powder has a really nice vanilla taste that goes well with the muffins. I've made brownies with extra egg whites and that works well!

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! Just when I was in need of some snack inspiration as well. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm always on the lookout for more healthy alternatives. The muffins look and sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandie! If you give these a try, I'd love you to let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. I have a stash of those banana and yoghurt muffins in my freezer - they are brilliant! I trained for and ran a half marathon last year but I don't think I looked after my nutrition properly and ended up quite sick at the end of last year. I've only just starting training properly again now and I'm much more cognisant of nutrition than I was before so I'm very interested in these products. They look like very "smart" training foods. Also, have you checked out your local roadrunner club? I'm in Brisbane and the fortnightly races on a Sunday morning are a great way to meet and exchange ideas with other runners! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your great comment Misha! A similar thing happened to me last year...I was training very hard and then got quite sick with the flu and respiratory problems...I swore after that I would look after my self better, with better nutrition and recovery....so far it is working well but there is another winter on the way.......

      Delete