Thursday 5 January 2012

Black Forest Cheesecake: From My Little Brother

Thiss post is about the things I know about yummy Black Forest Cheesecake and my brother

Do the words ‘chocolate’, ‘cherries’ and ‘cream’ get your attention??

I have the recipe for you!! This absolutely delicious cheesecake has all the flavour of a black forest cake and it is really easy to make!

My Brother made this for our family to celebrate the new year!....

..Yes…My. Little. Brother…

The cheeky little red-head. The hyperactive troublemaker and constant annoyance of my teenage years. This photo, taken sometime in the 1980’s, pretty much says it all! (Kindly disregard the perm…)





Somewhat surprisinglyJ, he no longer uses his boundless energy and creativity to find innovative ways to annoy, tease and irriate his big sister! No, he is no longer sneaking around to catch me kissing my boyfriend, reading my diary or reading out-loud the last paragraph of the novel I’ve just begun to read. He is now channelling his creative energy into being a simply inspired and talented music teacher and an amazing cook…picture an Australian red-headed Jamie Oliver, with all the energy,  passion and pizzazz!

He is also an AMAZING  Dad and Uncle!

However, you should see the disaster area that once was his kitchen after he has finished one of his fabulous creations……some thing’s will never change….but the results are sure worth the washing up!! I absolutely recommend this his recipe for Black Forest Cheesecake…its YUMMY!!

This picture does not do justice to this fabulous cheesecake….it was the only bit left once we’d all stopped eating and I remembered to get my camera out!



 Black Forest Cheesecake

Cheesecake
250g plain chocolate biscuits
125g butter, melted
3 teaspoons gelatine
¼ cup water
250g packet of cream cheese, softened
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
300ml thickened cream
425g can pitted black cherries

Topping
1 tablespoon cornflour
1tablespoon caster sugar
1 tablespoon brandy

1.      Blend or process biscuits until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add butter and process until combined. Press biscuit mixture over base and side of 20cm spring form tin, place on oven tray and refrigerate about 30min until firm.
2.      Sprinkle gelatine over water in a small heatproof jug; stand jug in a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir until gelatine dissolves; cool 5 minutes.
3.      Beat cream cheese, sugar and juice in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth; transfer to a large bowl.
4.      Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture in two batches; fold in gelatine mixture drain cherries, but reserve all the syrup for topping.
5.      Spoon 1/3 of cheese mixture onto crumb crust, top with half the cherries, repeat layering, ending with cheese mixture. Refrigerate until just firm.
6.      Meanwhile, Make topping: blend cornflour and sugar with reserved cherry syrup in a small saucepan. Stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens, stir in brandy; cool 10 minutes.
7.      Spread topping over the cheesecake; refrigerate cheesecake for at least 2 hours-overnight.

Today I'm linking this post up with The Good , The Bad & The Unnecessary For The Things I know. Come and see the things some great blolggers know!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds scrumptious! Definitely a recipe I'll have to try out...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that sounds super yummy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    That's an absolute winner.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I'm excited it is pretty much gluten free... another thing to add to my baking list this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kirsty, Thank you for reading and for your kind comment and thanks for following!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Shar, Rhianna. The cheesecake was very, very goood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lyndaal, thanks for reading and leaving your kind comment. If you try the cheesecake My brother and I would be really excited to hear how it turned out....he keeps bugging me to find out if there has been any comments on his recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Moly that looks supersonic and very delicious!

    ReplyDelete